Hair Collage!

Hair Collage!

Monday, August 19, 2013

My Aveda Disaster



Fortunately during my almost 3.5 years on my Healthy Hair Journey (HHJ) I've been fortunate to only suffer one major setback.

Over winter break of 2012/2013 I stopped in Aveda on a whim, in search of nothing in particular. I was drawn to the Be Curly line because well I was looking forward to being Curly. With a glance at the ingredients list (First mistake) and a little goading from the SA I purchased the above, Aveda Be Curly Conditioner and Style Prep.

Once home I took a big handful and smoothed it over my detangled 20 months post relaxer BSL (bra strap length) hair. Second mistake. Although my hair instantly felt rough, I still smoothed on more of the product. Third mistake.

In the end I was left with several clumps of hair that were severely dreaded together. I spent several days detangling (I was so frustrated), had to cut about 2 inches off and I'm pretty sure I got tons of splits in the process.

My Mom, being well my Mom, was probably more crushed than I was. 

1. In the end I learned that my natural hair is extremely protein sensitive vs my relaxed hair which loved protein. 2. I also learned that strand tests are no joke. Now I do one before using every single product. 3. And lastly, I listen to my hair. If something feels rough going on, it's out. Even if I get defined curls with 5 inches of relaxed hair hanging out. 

All of these products were purchased by me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment